Once it was together and set in place, I realized that the trees I'd painted on the walls...the ones that were supposed to grow with him indefinitely...had been planned to carefully fit around the crib. :( So I bought a little bit of his wall paint and repainted so that the tree was moved over just enough to accommodate the new bed. See?
The last project was to transform the top bunk into a reading area. I wanted to configure the bed this way where he essentially sleeps on the floor, but has the top as a loft so that he didn't really lose any play space in his room. When he is older, we'll let him sleep on the top and use the bottom for playing in or put shelving down there for storing stuff, but for now he's safer on the bottom and the top is great for playing. I sent Josh to Lowe's for some plywood and we had it cut to just fit the top bunk, then covered it with a mattress pad (stuck to the board) and covered that tightly with a fitted sheet that matches the one on the bottom bed. This way it's just a little cushioned floor for the loft so it's comfortable for sitting and reading or having picnics or playing with cars, but it isn't very thick which leaves the sides quite high...for safety reasons. I moved the little bookshelf from under the tree at the end of the bed and put it next to the loft and piled a bunch of pillows up there. Lastly, I found one more lantern to go with the collection. I just felt like it needed one more at the end to balance it out now that the bed was longer.
Here's the rest of the room:
Happy revamped bedroom, big boy Fraz!
In case you don't remember how it looked originally...here it is.