Thursday, June 24, 2010

Brussels

Our first day trip with Ross (for which we had to rent a van--click here for more on that) was to Brussels, and our first stop there was The Atomium.

"The Atomium was the main pavilion and icon of the World Fair of Brussels (1958), commonly called Expo 58. It symbolised the democratic will to maintain peace among all the nations, faith in progress, both technical and scientific and, finally, an optimistic vision of the future of a modern, new, super-techno
logical world for a better life for mankind.

The peaceful use of atomic energy for scientific purposes embodied these themes particularly well and, so, that is what determined the shape of the edifice. At 102 metres high, with its nine interconnected spheres, it represents an elementary iron crystal enlarged 165 billion(thousand million) times. It was dreamed up by the engineer André Waterkeyn (1917-2005). The spheres, though, were fitted out by the architects André and Jean Polak."
-atomium.be
Then it was on to the rest of Brussels- which included a visit to the royal palace:
We (and by we I mean mostly Dad and Josh and Ross) did a lot of this:
Since my Mom is also blogging about our trip- I'm borrowing her posts to save me time and because I certainly couldn't have done better myself! If you don't regularly read her blog, too (and you should)- here are two more links to pics and videos from our trip:
Thanks, Mom! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love the carrying-the-stroller-up-stairs picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved checking out all the pics of your trip. I must say I'm so impressed with your bravery of taking a 11 month old on such a long trip! You are braver than I :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stroller carrying....reminds me of when we took my Mom to Disney (with a sprained ankle) in a wheel chair back in 1977. We had to roll her up and down stairs a few times....they probably have ramps now...but a ramp on a palace is just wrong!

    ReplyDelete