Friday, April 9, 2010

A Number Of Things

Here are some odds and ends that wouldn't fit in a blogpost of their own:

1. You know that game where someone dangles a dollar bill over your thumb and forefinger and then drops it and you see if you can catch it with those two fingers? If you haven't tried this, it's next to impossible even though you think it'd be easy. Anyway, that's about how easy it is to catch Frazier when he falls. Fortunately he's getting more steady on his feet!

2. I'm aware produce is a gamble. And avocados are an even greater gamble than most produce, but the organic avocados at Brookshire's cost $1 each and they're, like, the size of apricots so I have higher expectations for them. You have to buy them by the bag of 5, hence $5 and though I've bought numerous bags that were decent, I bought one yesterday that didn't contain one good avocado. Not one! So I took the whole bag back, with my receipt and returned them. I informed the girl I returned them to, not that it mattered one bit, that while their organic produce shipments might be few and far between, they shouldn't leave what they have out past when it is fresh. Because this is their problem; I've bought enough organic produce there to know. They just leave the avocados out until the next shipment comes so they wither up and get mushy waiting. It's gross. They did take them back, however, and I returned home with a crisp five dollar bill. So there's that.

3. Today Frazier was crawling around on the floor and came across one of those pollen pods we call caterpillars. (Which Josh must have JUST tracked in after work, because I'd just vacuumed my floor!) Anyway, he put it in his mouth before I could get to him (crying "no no!" and flailing my arms) so I calmly got it out. Three seconds later he found a piece of fuzz on the living room curtain and, looking straight at me, started to put it in his mouth. This time I'm faster, but SO IS HE! As I lunge toward him he shoves it in his mouth and crawls quickly away! Obviously, I caught him and got the fuzz out of his mouth, but that's not the point. The point is, he knew he wasn't supposed to eat it and not only that, but he knew I was coming to take it away and he tried to thwart me! Ah- so it begins. :)

4. As of a week or so ago we have a new channel on our Direct TV...The Documentary Channel. Now you may recall that I'm a documentary junkie, so you can only imagine my excitement. A whole channel that ONLY broadcasts documentaries. It's a dream come true. So far I've watched documentaries about food allergies, cockroaches, yoga, polygamy, a drug addict who gardened his way to rehabilitation and this schizophrenic guy who rode from Monroe to New Orleans on a bicycle looking for his invisible girlfriend. I've DVRed documentaries about Second life, Scrabble competitions, North Carolina's Outer Banks, the Angola Prison Rodeo, wild horses and biscuits. They're cleverly titled, too: Weed It And Reap, You Only Live Twice, The Rise of the Southern Biscuit, and Circumcise Me (The Comedy of Yisrael Campbell). I know you're jealous. ;)

5. I was attacked in my kitchen a couple of nights ago by a mosquito hawk and then the following day I walked out my front door and into a swarm of gnats. There are plenty of things I find charming about living in the south. The spring influx of insects isn't one of them.

6. Bugs aside, we've had the most incredible weather lately. I suppose it's always this nice in the early spring, but I think the summer's so miserably hot and the winter so wet-cold that I forget and am always pleasantly surprised. I've had my windows (all the ones with screens on them-on account of the bugs) open all week.

All for now- happy Friday!


4 comments:

  1. I always love reading your blog and am curious about some of the documentary titles....Ha! The invisible girlfriend sounds very interesting... however you must post at least one new picture of the man of the hour--FRAZIER--- PLEASE!!! Have a great weekend it was snowing here today UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bugs are definitely not charming. It's a race between me and the mosquitos every night. I open the door a tiny crack and squeeze through as quickly as possible, and they best me everytime.

    I like documentaries too. I am only a little jealous of your new channel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!

    Josh never liked to get fuzz or anything in his mouth...his gag reflux was very good...it was a blessing but also accounts for his distaste of celery...too stringy.

    YES, I am jealous as I love documentaries, too.

    I was outside for about ten minutes and now have two bug bites. Jim goes outside for an hour and doesn't get one! I need a new bug racket to zap these nasty critters. If I find some I will get you one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! You have a talent for writing. (--the crazy girl from Tech's graduation)

    ReplyDelete