Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ode To The Turkey Baster Among Other Random Things

Why I have a turkey baster, I do not know. I truly don't even remember buying it and I'm pretty sure I've never basted a turkey. Make that certain I've never basted a turkey. But many bathtimes ago when we had few bathtoys, I sought out measuring cups and a turkey baster and, much to my surprise, there was one in my kitchen. With a blue bulb no less. It's like I subconsciously bought Frazier a turkey baster before I even knew we'd have him. At any rate, it's a favorite toy...and it's escaped the bathroom and he plays with it all over the house. It is excellent for banging out a rhythm on, well, anything. Last night we actually had to go get it out of the car before bathtime! We had Frazier's nine month appointment on Monday and it was pretty uneventful. For the first time we had to wait in the regular waiting room and not the infant one. No shots this time which was nice, but we did have to do an anemia test so they had to take blood. Frazier just sat in my lap and watched...he didn't even cry! I was impressed. They gave him a big shiny band-aid with which he was quite enamored and I think almost made the sticking of his finger worth it. Apparently, his iron levels were a little low- which was frustrating since I can't imagine there are mothers who take more care in their baby's nutrition than I. They recommended a supplement about which I am not at all happy. He weighed 21 lbs 12 oz, which is only a little over three pounds more than he weighed at his 6 month appointment. I can't imagine he'll be triple his birth weight by a year. I forget how long (or tall) he was and they didn't even give me the percentages. It seemed they were excessively busy- more so than usual- so we were in and out very quickly and I was glad of it, too. There were way too many potentially sick kids around for my comfort.

I made bagels this week and if I may say so myself, they were AMAZING. This is the recipe I used, and though I've never had this particular bagel at Panera Bread, the copycats were so yummy, I'm anxious to do so. I also used a dried berry mix of cranberries, blueberries and cherries instead of just the cranberries...and probably a few more than the recipe called for.
Our schedule is going swimmingly and we're getting pretty darn good at sticking to it. I find that I do less, however, because I feel I have to be home at 9, at 11, 12:30, 3, and 5:30 then be in for good to put him to bed around 8. So that doesn't leave a lot of leeway for going out and about or for working around other people's schedules.

Frazier likes to be chased these days and it's pretty adorable. He gets all excited when you go for him and starts laughing and crawling really fast! Today he emptied a sippy cup onto the living room floor and played in the puddle and the other day he closed himself in the spare room while I was hanging up clothes in his closet. He then planted himself right in front of the door so I had trouble getting him out. It was not as funny at the time as it seems in hindsight. Something else that's funnier in hindsight than it was at the time: This evening I was sending an email on the computer in the breakfast room and Frazier was playing on the floor next to me with a ball. It rolled into the dining room and he followed it. For a few seconds I heard him pit patting around, but then silence ensued. Naturally I worry...so I walk in there asking loudly where he is and what he's doing. More silence...which is so unusual it's pretty much nonexistent. So I panic a little and call him again walking towards the living room wondering how he could have gone so far in so little time. And as I pass the dining table something goes slap slap slap on one of the dining chairs. Scared me to pieces...but he thinks this is funny. Here's where he was:
*A note to Nama and Papa- we're sporting the Penn State sippy cup these days! :) The weather is still lovely, though already quite warm in the afternoons. We had a park visit today (pictures below) and another scheduled for tomorrow, weather permitting, so we're looking forward to that.
And I suppose that's all she wrote...for today anyway. :)

Happy Earth Day,

4 comments:

  1. Delighted to read this update. It's hard to beat a turkey baster, pots and pans, measuring cups . . . The kitchen - aka playroom. Have fun at the park and enjoy that nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see Frazier is making use of the Penn State Sippy cup. Couldn't resist that even before he was born. Just knew he would enjoy it
    sometime. I remember Grandma Wells losing Lori one time and she was asleep under the dining room table. They do keep us on our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why else do you think we cook turkeys two or three times a year?! It is all about the baster...maybe his fixation is genetic.
    I love how Frazier is just the right size to stand under the table...and how close his knees are to the floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds soooo fun right now.... and of course always adorable!!

    ReplyDelete