Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fourth of July

Our Fourth of July long weekend didn't turn out quite as we'd planned or I'd have already gotten the blogpost done. Josh had a four day weekend, and though we couldn't go far since he was on call for work, we had a nice long weekend planned for close to home. Sunday, we met Mae Mae and Pop and Josh's parents in Jefferson at my parents'old house for lunch. Then we spent the afternoon visiting and walking around downtown followed by an evening at the park downtown where they have a gazebo surrounded by white chairs and American flags and tents where they sell homemade ice cream, hotdogs, lemonade and snowcones for $1 each. At 9:30 we went back and watched a pretty impressive fireworks show. Frazier did great during the fireworks, by the way...he wasn't scared on bit! I tried to cover his ears, but after awhile he didn't even want me to- I couldn't believe it!

The last time we were in Jefferson for the fourth was two years ago. And, random trivia: I wore the same outfit. One could never say of me that I am not loyal to favorite outfits.

Anyway, it's all very picturesque (Jefferson- not my outfit) and sort of feels like the way the fourth should be. And really, the fourth itself was a very good day. The whole trip to Jefferson was lovely. We drove over right after church listening all the way to my the Wee Sing America album. It was my favorite when I was little and while I still have the songbook (all tattered and taped up from so much use),
I'd long since lost the cassette that went with it...thank you iTunes!
Anyway, we got to spend time with family- and eat lots of good food and we spent the night there so it was like a little vacation...

But then Monday Josh woke up sick and thus began a terrible three day bout with what the doctor determined today was probably food poisoning. Pretty much ruined the rest of our long weekend and then some. Thank God, neither Frazier nor I were sick at all. We quarantined Josh in the bedroom on the chance he was contagious. He's still not up to par, but is feeling better. Plus he has an anti-biotic so I think he's on the mend.

So...this explains my overdue blogspot on the fourth. And speaking of overdue...this day one year ago was Frazier's due date! And what happened today one year ago? Nothing.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry about the sickness! Food poisoning is horrible!!! I know from experience :(
    On the other hand, that Fourth celebration looks like something straight out of the movies! Fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A magical July 4th! Except for poor Josh, the whole thing sounded perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fun....thanks for making the real Belgian waffles! Yum! The cupcakes were great too...had one today. We loved spending time with all of you, but were so sad Josh got sick....I never thought of food poisoning as nobody else got sick and he had fever. I have been more worried about West Nile or something like that...I am praying he is back to his normal self tomorrow. Everyone hates feeling sick, but I think he hates it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Wee Sing America...I think we were the only 4-year-olds who knew the preamble to the Constitution.

    ReplyDelete