Sunday, October 3, 2010

Addendum to Pop-Tart Post

I think it prudent after my rant and in reply to Anonymous's comment, to mention that once upon three times, I did make my own Pop-Tarts. So for those of you concerned about the state of toaster pastry affairs and your kids...this is an option. Good idea, Anonymous! Here is Alton Brown's recipe, though I've got to admit it probably isn't a whole lot healthier than Pop-Tarts you don't have to make yourself. The real benefit would be that you could choose your own fruit flavor...and have them unfrosted to your heart's content. Here's the recipe I used, still probably not much better, but I did use whole wheat flour and cut the amount of butter almost in half.
Believe it or not I actually made blackberry, raspberry rhubarb, and Nutella (which, for the record, we didn't eat for breakfast and Frazier didn't eat at all). So Pop-Tart people, if you're looking for new flavor options I submit for your consideration Unfrosted Raspberry Rhubarb and Unfrosted Blackberry.

If you aren't into making your own Pop-Tarts, I have bought Nature's Path Toaster Pastries on several occasions and though they only offer four unfrosted options (but that's four of thirteen), they do have fruit flavors like Wildberry Acai and Cherry Pomegran. And there's some whole wheat flour in there. And they're organic...so there's that to make you feel better about them. :)

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE the blackberry pop tarts. If it's okay, I could just wait and you could make them for me? No doubt they'd be better than what I might conjure up myself :)

    ReplyDelete