Tuesday, June 14, 2011

And A Picture Of...

The cow jumping over the moon.

Frazier has exactly 402 books (in three different languages). I know because I counted them this week. Four hundred and two books, yet we read Goodnight Moon (one of our three copies, anyway) a minimum of five times daily.
I love it, but we do have other good books too. Fortunately we read alot so we get to read lots of those, too. Reading so much Goodnight Moon, though, inspired me. Every time I looked at the great green room, part of me wanted to redo Frazier's room to look just like it. Or plan a Goodnight Moon themed party or something. Ultimately, I decided just to paint Frazier his very own picture of the cow jumping over the moon.
Of course, there are no blank walls in my house, so then I had to find a place for it which lead to changing a whole small wall in Frazier's room. I took down the two shelves that were above the changing table and made that my new picture wall. One day- when we are done with diapers in Frazier's room and can move the changing table- this wall will probably have shelves in front of it so I may add some more frames below these three, but for now I think
this is a pleasant little grouping.
All the frames came from my thrifted frame collection which lives in my garage waiting for paintings and projects like this. I didn't paint any of them really, the yellow one was actually already yellow though obviously I painted over it a few times to get just the right Goodnight Moon Yellow and to add the scroll-y stuff. It was also almost the correct dimensions (I measured several throughout the book to estimate the right ratio). *Goodnight Moon Trivia: No two of the pictures of this cow jumping over the moon are exactly the same in the book and this picture is also in the picture of the three little bears sitting on chairs.* I chose to replicate the one on the two page spread of the great green room and I just freehanded it, but was quite happy with my estimations.
The drawing and text in the green frame comes from the book A Hole Is To Dig- which I also love:I just photographed a page, blew it up, and printed it out on some cream colored linen cardstock. It says "A dream is to look at the night and see things". It was hard to choose just one illustration and sentence, but I thought this was an appropriate one for a bedroom.The "V is for vegetables" frame is also one I painted myself. I kind of wanted this frame to reflect another book, but decided to use it as an opportunity to incorporate the new veggie patch bedding I want for Frazier's bed when we transition the crib to a daybed.

Then I tried to get a picture of the new wall with the rest of the room so I could show how it tied in with the existing decor. Well, me thinks.
And now I'm going to go straighten up the blankets I have stored on the changing table because looking at these pictures made me realize that looks really messy.

Goodnight nobody.
Goodnight mush.

2 comments:

  1. and good night to the old lady whispering hush. I have read that book so many times, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can never have too many book, right? Love the new painting and love that you are painting :)

    ReplyDelete