Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Family Near and Far

Josh's family, with the exception of his parents who live about two hours away, has always lived very far away. Like Pennsylvania, far away. And that was sad, I'm sure, when he was a kid, and I can attest that it was sad when we were just married, but it is especially sad since we've had Frazier. That, coupled with the fact that my parents and brother have been abroad most of Frazier's life and that we have a pair of grandparents each who never got to meet Frazier at all, means a lot of the people we love...are not close to us in physical proximity at all. It doesn't make me bitter so much as it just makes me extra-extra grateful for the time we do get to spend with those people (and for Skype) and so very thankful for the family we do have nearby. Mae Mae and Pop (my paternal grandparents in case you don't know) were here for the morning today just to visit and I made the mistake of telling Frazier last night that they were coming. He asked about them all evening...and then for two and a half hours this morning until they got here. He was so excited when they finally came to the door I thought he was going to run right out of his sandals. I just love that he's old enough to look forward to people. And to really enjoy them. And I love these pictures.
I've decided, therefore, not to tell him we're going to Pennsylvania in a couple of weeks and all the awesome people we're going to see there (Grammie and Grampa Jim and Nama and Papa are pretty magic words, too). It'll be a surprise for him.

He'll never know, personally, how great my Nana and Grandaddy or Josh's Grampa Rudy and Grandma Grace were, but thanks to the internet he does know lots of people who love him from afar. He even gets to travel to see them, and he gets loved on by folks close to home, too. What a lucky little boy.

3 comments:

  1. Yes,it was sad living so far from grandparents, siblings, anunt and uncles, but God always provided fellow believers/role models who stepped in to fill those voids. I remember what a blessing it was when Lori spent two summers with us when Josh was about Frazier's age. Wowo bonded with Josh and he with her. Both sets of grands would usually come once a year and we would drive home once a year...plus Josh would stay sometimes for a month without me. We would miss him terribly, but we were happy to know he was making lifetime memories. So even with the distance...and remember there was no internet....we suceeded in establishing close family bonds...although as middle sis, Julie, has always said, "families are not meant to be so so far away from one another." Maybe she is right, but so far we haven't let it mess us up too badly.
    Love you and thanks for this sweet post, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure grateful for those who are nearby and for the wonder of the internet, but . . . well, best not to think about it too much. Love y'all.

    ReplyDelete