Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

Yesterday was my 28th birthday. Since Josh just turned 29 and we'd taught Frazier to say so, he kept also telling people I was 29. And that I was old. I couldn't have asked for a better day- lunch with friends, dinner with family, presents I loved, cupcakes! I love birthdays, though I tend to be remarkably bad sometimes at remembering them (other people's- not mine). :)

Here's a picture I took of Fraz...And here's a picture he took of me:
I think a birthday is a unique opportunity to celebrate someone. It's like your own personal holiday. It is a chance to marvel at what a special person God made on the anniversary of the day that He sent them to earth and to recognize all the time they've been blessed with. When you think of it like that...many take birthdays all too lightly. And lamenting them is blasphemy.

I am not old even if Frazier says so, but I hope one day I am. I pray one day I have a whole sheet cake full of candles (and while we're wishing I hope it's white cake with white icing and strawberries...or cheesecake). And I pray that I look over the years those candles represent and say, "Look at what God has done for me. Just look what He has done!" but more than that I pray that He looks over those candles and says of me, "Look what Randi has done for me. Just look what she has done!"

I wish never to have a candle on any of my birthday cakes that was wasted...or unappreciated. Every year on my birthday I am so very grateful for another year and for all the lovely things in it. And make no mistake, there are always many lovely things. I will never bemoan adding another number to my years because growing old is a privilege.

If only it didn't come with gray hair.

*Thanks to everyone who made this last year and the celebrating of it so special! I love you folks.


"Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you."
Isaiah 46:4

6 comments:

  1. I hope your special day was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post! Happy (day late) Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so fun getting together. I agree with you about birthdays! I have a hard time remembering peoples birthday who arent family...I do agree they are worth celebrating no matter the age! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Randi! This was such a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have to say, Aug 31 1983 was definitely one of my best days :) Happy birthday and many, many, many more!
    All my love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your actual birthday was a great one with cupcakes!
    I loved your post and am very convicted by it as I have not appreciated my birthdays and usually feel like ignoring them altogether. I am adjusting my attitude even as I peck this out on my tiny keyboard....thanks to bifocals!

    ReplyDelete