Thursday, September 15, 2011

Time To Make The Donuts

As a general rule, we do not eat doughnuts (in the traditional sense of the word- doughnut). And by we, I mean Frazier and me...Josh has them at work everytime there's a birthday. That isn't to say we don't like doughnuts in a broad sense of the term. I love baked goods. So not long ago I started researching and experimenting and have come up with a nice doughnut recipe we've made three times so far!
Recipe:

1/3 c warm milk
1 c warm buttermilk
1 pkt yeast
5 c whole grain spelt flour
2 T butter
2/3 c sucanat (1/3 works too, it's up to you)
2 eggs
2 t cinnamon
1 t sea salt

Place warm milk and yeast in mixer bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Since I am not patient, I just sort of add everything else haphazard like after the five minutes is up. I do add each thing one at a time with the dough hook going and so far it's turned out ok. When combined, leave in the bowl, cover, and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled. Punch down the dough, turn out onto floured surface and knead a few times. Then roll out 1/2 in thick and cut out doughnuts. Place on a parchment covered baking pan, cover, and let rise another 45 minutes. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. We brush ours with butter and sprinkle them with an unbleached cane sugar and cinnamon mixture. Sucanat doesn't work as well for this part...it gets sticky and is kind of grainy. You could also mix cream cheese and honey to drizzle them with, or once I served them with a homemade blackberry dipping sauce (blackberries + arrowroot + agave nectar and/or honey, reduce over medium heat, allow to cool).

Yesterday we made a pumpkin version. I left out one egg and added 1/2 c pumpkin puree. Lekker.

1 comment:

  1. I assure you she did not get this talent from me, but I do love donuts and I agree, these look lekker. Smakelijk!

    ReplyDelete