Tuesday, September 13, 2011

These Shoes Were Made For Running

A little over a month ago I started having pain in my right leg and, since I do quite a bit of running, I assumed I'd just strained something. It wasn't until after a month of painful runs that it finally dawned on me...for the FIRST TIME EVER...that maybe it was my shoes. And then I realized that I'd been running in the same pair of shoes for a really long time, so I looked up how often to change your running shoes. Turns out I'd run about 700 miles more in my shoes than I should have. Oops. Just for your information, the general rule for changing your shoes is every 300-500 miles. Now we know.

I immediately did some research and decided on this pair:
The Brooks Ravenna 2 which was the Runner's World editor's pick for 2011 and seemed to be a good all-around running shoe. It also retails for less than $100 and was available in-store locally. I've run around 40 miles in them so far and am very pleased. My only complaint is that sometimes after about two miles the two smallest toes on my left foot start to feel like they're asleep, and I've determined it has to do with the arch support and how I tie the laces on that side. Minor adjustments usually remedy the situation. Compared to my old shoes they're like running on...I don't know, but something pretty amazing.

I couldn't help feeling, however, a little bit sad about retiring my old shoes. We've been through so much together and they've always been so faithful. We ran countless miles together around my neighborhood and on my favorite running trail here in town. They remember when running one mile was an accomplishment, and then three...and then ten. They were with me when we finally broke 8:30 on our one mile time. These shoes ran with me on my first 5K, in the Alps, the streets of Paris, around the cathedral in Chartres, and the sidewalks of Port Allegany, PA. I ran them out. They literally gave me all they had.
So maybe I'll keep them for old time's sake. To wear to the grocery store once in awhile.

Here's to making new friends...and keeping the old. ;)

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are enjoying it so much! I wish I had your dedication. I'm looking forward to your next run in Paris :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember feeling that way about some Etonics I had and I still miss them....so comfortable!! We mostly went around and around Tech Track, but we did walk around the Corolla, NC and Port A., too.(Your sneakers have a much more exciting life than mine ever will.) I think I had those Etonic for about 5 years! Maybe that is where those nasty shin splints came from!

    ReplyDelete