Monday, June 1, 2009

Lady-In-Waiting

I figured up just now that I've had 12 OB appointments since November including my appointment today. I suppose I'll probably have four or five more at the most. 37 days on the countdown! Today's appointment yielded nothing new to speak of. I lost a pound since my last appointment :0 (which sets me back to having gained 21 pounds instead of 22). I even wore the same clothes I wore to my last appointment--so it can't be blamed on a difference in wardrobe. No one seemed concerned, so I am not either. All other measurements were right on track. It's just a waiting game now...and it's boring. I'm pretty much finished with work for awhile. I'm closing my online boutique and taking a hiatus from The Art of Happiness blog. We have all but about two things ready for bringing the baby home. We even put the bassinet together in our bedroom (complete with motion-sensor baby monitor all set up). All the things that need batteries have them installed. I have a laundry room and freezer full of groceries to eat in the post-baby weeks (I even researched what I should eat while breastfeeding so that I could have convenient and appropriate snacks on hand). I do intend to spend a few days cooking a couple of meals to freeze. I have the ingredients for lasagna and I found lots of great freezer recipes I want to try here: http://www.momsbudget.com/freezerrecipes/index.htmlI also purchased extras of other household items we might need (toilet paper, paper towels, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, paper plates...) so those would be a few less things we had to think about for awhile. I took Gatsby for an annual check-up and got heartworm pills for a year and I've also purchased stuff to make food for him for several weeks. I have washed baby blankets, towels, outfits, caps, socks, washrags and sheets. I've taken tags off of some clothes and toys and removed other items (like pacifiers and thermometers--yes, plural...I have two thermometers-you can't be too careful) from their packages so they are ready to use. I have two diapering stations set up complete with anti-bacterial hand gel and diaper rash cream. I have read countless books and articles about pregnancy, labor, delivery, your newborn's first 48 hours, circumcision, diapering, swaddling, the baby's first weeks, the baby's first year, vaccinations, feeding...(we even took a 3 hour lactation course at the hospital). We begin a three-class course called Childbirth Prep tomorrow night. I've arranged a consulation with the baby's pediatrician for this Thursday just to meet with her and ask some questions. I'm hoping to maybe squeeze in an infant/child CPR course even though I've been certified in the past. I've designed birth announcements and typed up a list complete with addresses of everyone I want to send one to. I plan to have envelopes stamped and addressed in the next week or so. The house is as neat as it's ever been. I spend much of my time keeping it that way. I am practicing always having the house as perfect as possible...exactly the way I'd want it to be when we bring the baby home so that no matter when he decides to arrive we won't be caught off guard with, say, dishes in the sink. I've been over several birthplans online and have decided what's important to me and how my ideal labor and delivery would go, but am not planning to type one up to take to the hospital in the interest of being flexible when the time comes. I filled out all the necessary paperwork to donate the baby's cord blood, I've pre-registered for our stay at the hospital so all we have to do is show up to have him, and I have his bag all packed and ready to go. (While I don't have anything packed for me or Josh yet, I do have detailed packing lists made out.) I'm still awaiting cushions for my glider...which I hear are going to be ready early this week. We'll see- I'm anxious to get them...they're the last thing I need for the nursery! So, you see, I've planned myself into a place where now...I've literally nothing left to do but wait. Just wait.
*So if you think of anything I've forgotten or failed to consider...please let me know! :)

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmm....well, you are still short a name...well, unless you are keeping it a secret.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete