Saturday, June 6, 2009

What's In A Name?

No- we still don't have one. And it makes me feel guilty. Without one, the baby seems somehow subhuman, but it's simply too big a decision. I think I've shorted out thinking it over so much. While I always anticipated the name decision as being an exciting part of expecting a baby, it's turned out to be one of the worst. I hate it- which could be why we're at a standstill...and have been for, oh, six months or so. Girl names would not so much trouble...or maybe we only think that because we have to come up with a boy name...(the grass is always greener, right?). I can't imagine there's a parent out there who has done more name research than I have. I've always been interested in names- and I'd done plenty of name-searching in the past for characters in my writing, but this is something entirely different...and far more important. I've read for hours (and I don't exaggerate) about name trends (past, present, and future), name meanings and origins. I know the most popular names for the past 100 years. I've yet to have anyone suggest a name I haven't already seen somewhere in all my reading. The Social Security Administration has been an excelllent resource. It has beaucoups of name information and there is even a feature on their website where you can type in any name and find out whether it has ever been one of the top 1000 names (since 1880, I think). I read in an article yesterday that said the vast majority of new parents choose their kids' names off a list of the same 500 names. Of course, this shouldn't surprise me, since most of them come off the same list of 10. I just can't do that to our son. Be that uncreative; put that little thought into the moniker he has to live with his entire life. My baby (who will, let's not forget, one day also be a toddler and a little boy and a teenager and a young man, and an old man...God willing...and throughout those stages will still have the same name we give him the day he is born) is going to be special. For the life of me I cannot fathom how parents look at their new baby, think he is the most special baby ever born, and then give him the same name half the other people in the maternity ward that day gave their "most special" new baby. I won't sentence Soda to a life as one of a million. I don't want him to be forever Jacob A. or Aiden A...just one in a sea of others people can only remember from one another by their last initial. I don't want to be too trendy, I don't want to be too weird, I don't want people to mispronounce his name, spell it wrong, tease him about it, shorten it to a stupid nickname. I don't want him to sound perpetually four or forty or eighty-two. I don't want him to have bad initials; I want his name to mean something to us and to him. I don't want to look back five or fifteen years from now and wish I'd named him something else. While I can't bring myself to name him something off the top ten list (or the top 1000 for that matter), I don't intend to do something too out there either (like give him a trendy or common name and spell it in some ridiculous way- i.e. Aydin or Jaycub) or name him something too hippie like Banjo or Cedar. (Though I have to say I like those last two better than most popular names.) So what's a name-conscious mommy to do? I can find something wrong with every name brought to the table...and it's becoming depressing. As a last ditch effort, I sat at Books-A-Million yesterday with a decaf coffee pouring over baby name books (to no real avail). My favorite, though, was one called A is for Atticus which had some great literary baby names...just fyi, if you're looking. It isn't that there aren't names I like...it's that there isn't a perfect name. I'm convinced we'll have to settle...and that makes me sad. And frustrated more than anything. Shakespeare wrote, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," but would an Aiden or a Jacob or a Josh and a Randi be the same people they are by any other name?

Need some name resources? Start here:

babynamewizard.com/namevoyager
ssa.gov/OACT/babynames

5 comments:

  1. Katie Nipper from our Speech Comm days here ...
    My husband and I are pregnant with a boy and went through the same thing, albeit earlier, since I couldn't stand to just have a "nannerpuss" in my belly. Mostly, the thought of calling him that after his arrival terrified me, so we sped the process along. We had a handful of names that we liked, but had no personal meaning to us. We decided on Merritt - and given our speech days, you may appreciate that. I intend to write a post about his name, its meaning to us, and our selection process at some point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I HEAR YOU! And I'm sad to say it, but I think Merritt might be in the top 1000, too. Gag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my dog-nephew is Atticus. I adore him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you think we messed up with "Josh"...way to common, but it wasn't even on the radar and in hindsight it amazes me that he ended up named Josh at all. "Tristen" was what I wanted, but one look at Josh....who didn't look like a Tristen at all, we were stuck. I wasn't a Christian at that time so when I became a believer and found out the meaning of "Joshua" (Jesus-God Saves) and learned about Joshua of Bible reknown I was thrilled and I believe the Lord steered us to that name. I will pray for you all as I know the Lord knows Soda's real name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops...I mean "way TOO common". Can't believe I did that as it is a pet peeve of mine! We have been talking about names around here, too. We don't seem to know any that sound just right either....very tough!!!! We saw one last night Alwin ....reminded Nama and I of Lord of the Rings. There are sooooo many names! Glad we don't have to decide. Frazier James Anderson has a ring to it....

    ReplyDelete