Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Confessions To My 8 Month Old

Frazier, my darling, you were 8 months old yesterday and while usually I say I can't believe you are another month older, this time, for the first time...I can believe it. Because you seem like an 8 month old to me and finally it does seem like you've been around at least that long! You're a fabulous 8 month old and I love 8 months old, but mommy really must confess:

Once upon a time I was better at this.

Like before you were mobile and ate real food. Before you pulled things off shelves and out of drawers and ate your books. 8 months old has not been Mommy's time to shine, I'm afraid. I have let you put the living room curtains, the dining room tablecloth and the breakfast room rug in your mouth. I've let you fall off the bed and out of your bouncy seat. I've let you get your arm stuck through the slats in the laundry basket and play in Gatsby's water bowl.

I am terrible at scheduling. And meals. Sometimes you get breakfast and dinner, sometimes lunch and dinner, sometimes all three and snacks intermittenly...sometimes you have green beans for breakfast and bananas for dinner. Sometimes I puree, mix and freeze an entire meal and let you eat it as a popsicle. I nurse you on demand and I have no idea how many times a day that comes out to be. Sometimes we get you in bed by 9. Sometimes you stay up until midnight. Sometimes a whole day goes by that we never read a book, and sometimes you go to bed without a bath.

Because you chew on electrical cords and tip over wastebaskets when I'm not watching you attentively, and because naps are few and far between, I get far less done than I used to when you napped often and stayed in one place when you were awake. The laundry piles up, there are regularly dishes in the sink, and I only dust if we're having company. I try to shower on a regular basis.

I find that dressing myself is almost as futile an effort as dressing you- what with the snot and drool and spit up and leaky diapers and oatmeal that ends up all over one or both of us throughout the day. So sometimes I do neither.

I think back on the days when you were a little baby. When I nursed you every three hours, showered every day, did laundry several times a week, read to you often and baked in my free time. When our house was always clean, I fixed dinner almost nightly and we put you to bed early every night.
And then I think of these days as I sit here with hair I haven't washed in three days, with applesauce on my shirt, three loads of unfolded laundry piled in the living room, trying to type as you pull aprons off the hooks in the kitchen...

...and I'd rather spend one day like this with you, up to my ears in laundry and dirty diapers than a million any other way.

And maybe one day I'll be able to say that I'm better at this again.

Until then, sweetheart, I'm trying.

Mommy loves you so very much.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, this brought tears to my eyes. He sounds like a dream-baby, table cloth and cord chewing and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so blessed to be able to be at home to see all of this. Cherish it ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post, and although I don't have a fully mobile baby, I can totally relate...like the dried fruit I fed her the other day made her gag...then I read on the package that it was for children over a year old. Oops.

    You're seriously doing a wonderful job, Randi, and this precious post to your adorable son is proof :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frazier of course will never do anything bad---however he appears to be very curious, which is always a good thing, yet at the same time can be dangerous. The Pack and Play (smaller version of a play pen) is a great tool to keep your child safe and for your own sanity. I never felt like I had accomplished anything if I hadn't showered or dressed. I always felt more prepared for my day and while I showered my little peeps were safe and actually enjoyed their independent time without my constant chirping about what they couldn't do because they had all fun stuff in their little self space. They were never in it for long periods--it was always a great place to throw all the toys if anyone came over and I needed a quick pick up... Your blog always makes me remember back to my days with three kids ages six and under.... I rather liked those days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I do remember that transition with Hannah for sure. She used to sit on her blanket with all her toys and books and be so content. And then yes.....it all changed. Yikes..she was mobile. It did change everything. But with this change will come new memories...as I can see from your blog. What a blessing these little beings are....and I am sure he could care less if your hair is three days out from a wash.....he loves you no matter what.

    missing you all.
    Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was good. Very good.
    Word.
    Corey.

    ReplyDelete