Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Separation Anxiety

97.2% of the time, Frazier is the happiest, most good-natured baby ever. The other 2.8% is comprised of the times that a) I am not with him, b) he is not getting his way or c) any combination of a. and b. When, for instance, he is playing with my cell phone or the TV remote and I take it away...or when I set him down and he'd rather be held...or if he wants the computer or computer cord and I won't let him have it...or when he doesn't want his diaper changed...he literally throws himself on the floor and kicks and screams. I kid you not. My 8 month old. Fit throwing. I find myself looking down at him in disbelief wondering how this can be. Thinking to myself, "Seriously? Is that really my child? Where could I have gone wrong already?" Fortunately this happens rarely and is usually easily remedied. By giving him his way (she said sheepishly). I'm a push over.
What is more difficult to deal with is this separation anxiety we're experiencing. I have always been cheerful about the nursery. I talk it up on the way in-about how he "gets" to go play with his friends, etc. I greet the caregivers warmly, leave brief instructions, then bid him a happy, to-the-point farewell, explain that I'll be back soon, and go. Nothing long and drawn out, I don't exhibit anxiety, I don't sneak away while he's distracted. Yet sometimes less than 30 minutes into his stay they have to call me because he's screaming, sobbing, red faced...and it's terrible. I continue to try to leave him, and I continue to be called in to get him. And that includes at home, too! He won't even stay in the living room with Josh for any extended period of time while I'm in the kitchen or bathroom. I suppose it's something I'll just have to wait out. {They do outgrow this, right?} And in the meantime I'll cherish this time that he's so attached to me. It's nice to be so necessary sometimes. :)
And now, I'm going since -rightnow- falls into the 97.2% of time that he's content. He's sitting here in his walker happy as a clam and I don't want to miss any happy time!

5 comments:

  1. Randi, This will pass but do let him know you are in charge. Julie was somewhat like that but look how good she turned out. haha That pic tears at my heartstrings so i know how you feel. Nama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, on both accounts. When Henry is done with a Yo Baby, he cries and cries. But the carton is empty, kid. Also, at the YMCA when I work out and the church nursery, I always get paged! I have resorted to the sneaking out at the Y and it's been working this week- is that bad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all three pictures. Jim always got mad if I took crying pictures, but I wanted to remember it ALL.
    I was blessed to have a wonderful sitter who knew tough love. Josh learned the tune, "you can't always get what you want" from Pat-Pat. When there are 6 other kids to deal with there is no choice I guess. (He always loved her though.) Nowdays we'd call her "the baby whisperer". She gave me a lot of great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!! I know I was a big cling-on! Sorry Mom--Feeling secure is important and he just loves you so much..... I love the pics and that last one is priceless. I agree with Debbie on capturing it all and you do such a good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe.....it is good to be needed. He will get past this....and yes you have to be strong....and maybe sneaking away when he is involved is just the way to do it. Trust me I have been thru this. I kept my kids out of Sunday School for while and stopped going to church with Paulie.....as he cried in the nursery all the time. Then I finally thought...man.....he has got to get used to this. I love that little round face....tears or no tears. I wish I could hug him right now....of course he would probably shriek and look for you.

    ReplyDelete