Thursday, January 21, 2010

Avocado, etc.

So I gave Frazier some avocado. It went well, I think.
Also gave him some breastmilk (I refuse to introduce juice...but may concede to some water eventually) in a sippy cup. Or a Nuby, rather, with a soft sippy nipple. It, too, went well. He hasn't had a bottle in a couple of months at least so I was really surprised he figured out what to do with it with very little help. He's brilliant...I knew he would be. :)The last two of the baby feeding items I ordered came in this week...(the first being the Baby Cubes.) One is this collapsible steamer, strainer, colander...which will be handy for making fresh food on the go...and at home. I showed it to my parents on iChat and Mom said it looked just right for a hat.
She was right--it's perfect.The second thing (also great for fresh feeding on the go and also made by Bean Sprouts- a much better company name than Baby Cubes) is this "grinder bowl". The smaller end is rough at the bottom and the spoon (which snaps into the lid for travel convenience) has soft ridges on the back so the two together (plus a human) make a paste of whatever you put in there. It worked well with avocado. All I needed was this little bit, but theoretically you could mash it up in small batches, moving the smooth stuff to the big side until you had it all filled up. So handy...so smart. The final piece of hardware (which I didn't have to order) in my collection of food introduction gear is this Munchkin fresh food feeder...which is basically a fine mesh bag on the end of a plastic ring thing. You can put fresh or frozen fruit or something in there and they can suck on it getting tiny little pieces through the mesh, but never enough to choke on. Who comes up with this stuff? Anyway, I put a chunk of avocado in there and gave it to him while we ate dinner. Worked like a charm. Oh, and this last picture I just thought was funny. In our spare time, Josh has been reading The Lord of The Rings aloud to us. So tonight he and Frazier were in bed reading and I was half-listening half straightening the house. One of the times I walked in to this: Josh, a little furry spot that is Gatsby, and two legs in the air that are Frazier. :)

Fin.

4 comments:

  1. You are much braver than me when it comes to this homemade-baby food thing! I do have plans to have Anniston try avocado soon, though...we'll see how it goes. And, we have the mesh feeder too! Good idea putting the avocado in it! I'm very impressed with your "cooking-for-baby" abilities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are a great bunch of pictures--the last one is funny-Maybe titled A Dad - A dog and a Kid ( he is starting to look like a little "kid") oops wait---- an adorable, cute, brilliant "kid" :) That little mesh thing will be great for teething, put some frozen fruit in there to soothe his little gums---such neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you told us about the the mesh thing on Skype last night I thought the same thing that Julie said about the teething thing It was fun chatting with you all last night and such fun seeing Frazier. Just wanted to reach out and touch him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What will they think of next?! Love all the gizmos! The last pic struck me funny. I could almost see Frazier's legs moving.

    ReplyDelete