Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Baby-Proofing

I suppose that the baby proofing (or baby accomodating) really began before Frazier was even born with the changing of our spare room (which was so boring I never even took a picture of it)...
...into this room:And this room *sniffle* (my studio):...into the new boring spare room seen here:*Sidenote: This whole overhaul was actually made somewhat easier thanks to the Hurricane Ike damage that led to new carpet which led to the center of the house looking like this- what you can't see is our bed in the living room...and that I'm like, five or six months pregnant in all this:I mean, everything was out of the rooms anyway so what better time to rearrange the whole house?
Anyway, about the studio--it isn't so much that we HAD to have a spare room as I just felt it was safer not to have the studio the way it was. It was pretty hazardous and assuming 1.) that I wouldn't have as much time to devote to art for awhile, and 2) that it would be much easier to do away with the studio BEFORE I had an infant, or worse, a toddler...I went ahead and did it. However, the studio also served as our office which posed another problem. Which I remedied by reinventing the breakfast room. And this required a major cleaning out and moving effort evidenced here: I'm not sure you can fully appreciate the mess via pictures. It was bad...whatever you imagine it might've been based on the pictures above-it was much worse. But I did it...and thus this:
...became this:...and this:...a breakfast room/office/studio. The "breakfast table" is my old studio table (seen above) and the shelves in there housed all my main art stuff. The shelving unit (minus a lot of stuff that went to Goodwill) was transplanted to the dining room wall in place of a couple of paintings and the bottom three shelves were rearranged to have only kid friendly stuff on them. However, there was still this buffet which has shelves behind the curtains that were filled with breakable stuff:...and, of course, the shelves with the art supplies that were still not kid friendly. And I put that off until now. I decided this week that it had to be addressed. So address it I did.
I've felt for some time that there was wasted space in my laundry room, but could never adequately remedy the situation. Ideally, I'd have floor-to-ceiling built-in wrap-around shelving in there. But since I was on my own I had to make just one big shelving unit. Plus I hung the little cabinet (that used to have my art supplies on it in the breakfast room) on the wall which gave me even more storage space...which I used for pantry items. The other shelves I filled with the breakable items from the dining room (still putting relatively safe items on the lower shelves). Viola!! (*this is all across from my washer and dryer...I'm sitting on the dryer to take this picture) The buffet shelves are now empty. I guess they'll stay that way indefinitely. My plan is to put a gate on the laundry room door which should keep Frazier not only away from these shelves, but also out of the garage. I figured it'd be easier to keep him out of just that one little room than the whole dining/breakfast/kitchen area. My new shelves were mostly constructed out of materials I already had so it didn't cost me much and I was able to move the old bookcase that was in there out to the garage where I'll be putting my art supplies. And the breakfast room/office/no longer part studio (the pic below is one from awhile ago, but it gave a good overview of it from the kitchen)...is eventually going to be a playroom/office!
Problem solved? I hope so.
And now on to locking the cabinets, and padding the corners, and plugging up the sockets and...

2 comments:

  1. You are such a fabulous decorator/reorganizer! What a great use of space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't have much around he could get into....lots of open floor space so I don't remember having to change things. I used a play pen when I needed to shower, use the bathroom....cook. I can still see him in there on his back...feet propted up on the side, legs crossed at the ankles "reading" his books. He looked like some 30 year old reading the news....hahaha....but everything he did was so adorable.

    ReplyDelete