Monday, January 18, 2010

A Foodwork Orange

I decided our first food would be butternut squash. It just seemed like a good idea- it's a first food, but a unique one, easily digestible, mild flavored, smooth, very nutritious...and sort of a cross of carrots, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. Plus I like it. So I procured an organic butternut squash, baked it, purreed it and put it in my handy new Baby Cubes babyfood storage containers.Great product, but does anyone else think the name could be something better? I mean, Baby Cubes? Really? Does that phrase make anyone else feel weird? Anyway, they're 2 oz each and have a mL measuring guide on each one. They fit down into this tray for stacking in your freezer:One butternut squash (plus approx. 3 oz of breastmilk) made about 14 oz of puree, though I didn't make a big point of pureeing all the useable parts...I just scooped out the best and easiest part to scoop out. I mean, we don't want to be eating squash forever and I didn't want to have to store it a long period of time even in the freezer.
So we've had the squash a couple of times (I diluted it even further with more breastmilk before serving and added some cereal). The first time it was mostly breastmilk and cereal so he was pretty much fine with it because it tasted pretty much like what he'd been eating before, but this morning I added in much more squash and he was not terribly excited. He ate it all...sort of begrudgingly. I tried it, and it wasn't as bad as he made out. I actually thought it was pretty good.He did, however, have a fabulous time playing in it... ...and then he had a good time playing in the bathtub.

3 comments:

  1. You can tell Frazier that Great Nama loves butter nut squash. i never tried playing in it but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pictures! I am so impressed that you are making his food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know how the laundry goes?--- And sounds like he likes bath time better!

    ReplyDelete