Friday, January 15, 2010

Cereal the First...

...but before that- a rundown of our busy last week!

Monday, I got Mastitis...again. My worst experience with it yet and I thought after six months of exclusive breastfeeding maybe I was out of the woods. :( However, one trip to the urgent care clinic, two shots, and three prescriptions later I was much, much better and am currently fine to date.

Tuesday was a MOPS day and while I wasn't feeling great, I'd been looking forward to going...plus it was my table's week to bring breakfast and I'd already bought berries, yogurt and granola to take so we went though Frazier had to go in his jammies. It was him or me and I figured he'd be more easily forgiven. Frazier stayed in MOPPETS for the first time. They had to call me out once, but when I picked him up at the end the lady rocking him said as long as he was being held he'd been fine. :)

Tuesday night we had dinner at our friends, the Simcoxes', house which was really great...and was very timely as it fell on a day I wasn't feeling up to par and definitely needed a meal I didn't have to fix! Anyway, the food was excellent and the company even better.

Then, Wednesday, we finally got to have another playdate with the girls again (at our house this time) which was fun as always. I made gyros.

Thursday we made a whirlwind trip to Ruston to see Ross be inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma- a business honor society...because he's so brilliant and all. (Call me partial, but it's true.) We were super proud. There was a little reception afterwards and then Pop took us to Monjuni's for dinner. Frazier was great during the ceremony and the four hours of driving and dinner.
Today we had Frazier's six month doctor's visit. Since I'd scheduled it for a Friday, Josh got to go with us. I think the shots were worse this time because Frazier's so much more aware of what's going on, and he cried much longer. We stayed awhile in the baby waiting room calming him down before we left. He's just fine now. He weighed 18.5 lbs and was almost 28 inches long. She didn't even give us percentiles this time. No more appointments until 9 months! And no more shots until 12! Also, Dr. Hunter said his lungs were still clear and the lingering cough is something we're just going to have to wait out.

...and now for something different: cereal!!

I did a vast amount of research and determined that six months was the optimum time at which to introduce "solid" foods. And now having done so I highly recommend. Since he'll be six months old tomorrow and because evidently he was going through a growth spurt because he'd been nursing every couple of hours, I decided to start this week so I gave him some rice cereal thinned with breastmilk. He was very excited about it...mostly about the spoon. I was shocked at how well he accepted being spoon fed, though he might be a little too helpful. I wasn't sure what to expect, but have been pleasantly surprised at how well it's gone. The first time I stuck the spoon out toward his mouth he reached up, took it out of my hand and stuck it in his mouth! I let him let him have the spoon about every other bite...and what's left in the bowl that he won't eat at the end I let him play in. So we make a really big mess. And it's great.
I'm not going to be terribly aggressive about introducing a whole lot really fast since for now the "solids" aren't so much of nutritional importance, but are valuable more for the experience of new tastes and textures. This week of cereal was so much fun I'm looking forward to more! Naturally, I'll document it and let you know how it goes! ;)


3 comments:

  1. These pictures are great! Looks like he's a lot of help and may be feeding himself in no time :)

    Found this handy baby growth percentile calculator on the internet and he's in the 90th percentile in height and between the 50-75th percentile for weight! Wish I could say that :)

    http://www.babycenter.com/baby-child-growth-percentile-calculator

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi, Sure looks like Frazier is accepting being spoon fed very well. Your Mom is right that he may be feeding himself very soon. Glad his check-up went well. Also hope that cough disappears soon. Also glad you are feeling better. Thanks for the update. Nama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics....Josh was taking a bottle at five months...right about Christmas time he held his bottle himself...and was very pleased about it. I am trying to remember when he used a spoon alone....I will check the photo albums. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete