Thursday, February 25, 2010

Best Face Forward

Some time ago, I ran out of concealer and realized I was also close to running out of foundation. So I decided right then and there that if I was going to have to buy both I would revamp my make-up bag altogether which is something I've wanted to do for some time. I literally dumped all of my make-up (which was an incredible collection of a hodge-podge of products) and threw almost all of it away. It just had to be done. Now where to begin replacing it? I consulted my Mom who is forever on the search for perfect beauty products and, lo and behold, she had a subscription to Beautypedia. This is one big database of reviews of beauty products...it's amazing really. So I started researching. They have a very easy (like picture-coded easy) system of rating the products plus a brief review of each one.

What I wanted was something with good reviews that was reasonably priced, reasonably easy to come by, and also reasonably good for you (and those who might be constantly touching or slobbering on you). So, I cross-referenced all the products I found with safecosmetics.org which is yet another site full of beauty product reviews only this time they're reviewing the ingredients (and it's free). I probably don't have to tell you that this was quite the undertaking. For instance, the Physician's Formula Organic Wear I'd been using got good reviews at safecosmetics, but terrible reviews at beautypedia (with which I heartily agree). It wasn't easy to meet all my criteria.

To make a long story short, this is what I finally decided: I went with L'Oreal Bare Naturale Gentle Minerals. They received good ratings both places, are available in all the stores around here at a reasonable price and I've been more than reasonably happy with it! I checked for sales before purchasing and at Ulta I got foundation, powder and concealer because they had a buy two get one free sale on L'Oreal products. So far they've had the best selection too. Then the next week I got mascara and eyeliner at CVS because they had a buy one get one half off sale on L'Oreal products. So overall, I made out pretty good, I thought.

Since the concealer, foundation, and powder are all essentially powdered, I was a bit skeptical, but I'm impressed with the coverage of all three. My one complaint really is the brushes/application system. I find that my old Arbonne kabuki brush is much better for application of the foundation. The concealer brush is ok, but I wish it weren't attached to the top. Powder gets stuck in the lid beneath it and I feel like it's wasteful so I just apply it with my finger...which is more effective anyway. The powder brush just snaps into the lid, but I feel it's too coarse. I'm anxious to try blush and eye shadow in this line. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

I just wanted to pass along the info since I spent so much time in research and have been pleased with the final product decision! Here's to putting your best face forward. :)

5 comments:

  1. You are always beautiful and I love the green and brown shirt combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this foto of you two! TOOO cute!

    I will file this info and wait for you to let me know how you like them after a month or so. For years I was loyal to Merle Norman, but haven't been in there for a while and have been floundering a bit. Like the bare minerals pretty well, but I have to order those and I don't plan ahead too well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS PIC. YOU LOOK LOVELY OF COURSE FRAZIER LOOKS ADORABLE AS USUAL.

    ReplyDelete