Thursday, August 13, 2009

4 Weeks

Frazier is four weeks old today!
It's hard to believe, but then again it also seems like we've known him forever. I think this week has been the best so far. We're all used to each other, I guess. He seems more familiar to me and he also seems sturdier (not that he ever seemed terribly fragile, being pretty dense from the beginning, but the difference now may be that he's holding his head up remarkably well!) The infection in his eyes cleared up so we're no longer putting ointment in them and wiping them out multiple times a day, and his belly button finally has no traces of cord stump left so no more messing with that. I feel I have the hang of things, like bathing him and dressing him and feeding him. We're finally nursing sans breast shield now! Paula would be proud! :) I truly feared we might be saddled with that thing forever. My friend, Merissa said she used one for ten months! So that made me feel a little better about taking four weeks!
Best of all, every night this week he's slept at least six hours in a row. Monday night, I woke up after four hours fully prepared to feed him, but he was sound asleep. So I waited and finally went back to sleep--for two more hours! When he went six hours again last night for the third time in a row I began to worry. Cut to me up at 4:30 a.m. googling "my four week old sleeps six hours at night...is this ok?" :) The general consensus online was that as long as he was gaining weight steadily I should count my blessings and enjoy my sleep. Since my bathroom scale put him at about 11.5 pounds today I'm doing just that! Though I will confess that after 6 hours and 45 minutes last night I woke him up and fed him and changed his diaper. I just couldn't let him go any longer...I felt guilty. And, crazy as this sounds...I kind of missed him.
Before he was born, I joked that my child would be the most photographed child that ever lived...and it's eerie how true that might actually be. I took some more pics today...afterall, it's been--what?--a week and a half since the last photo shoot. He might've changed since then. ;)
So what else went on during week four?
We went on our first walk this week. And, naturally, we took pictures of the stroller's maiden voyage. Frazier really seemed to like it...he was asleep before we got to our second lap around the neighborhood! He isn't used to the outdoors, so he was pretty squinty for awhile at first, even though we waited until the sun was setting before we went out. We only made it two miles before, much to my chagrin, I had some pain and had to quit. 4th degree tears take more than 25 days to heal sufficiently enough to briskly walk more than two miles while pushing a stroller. Lesson learned. :( I refuse to be deterred, however. I plan to go out again this evening when it cools off. I just don't plan to go more than two miles...yet.
I also actually did some cooking this week which made me happy; two meals last weekend and then some goodies yesterday for my friend, Rebecca, whose baby, Myles, was born last Thursday. (I went over there yesterday evening and everyone was doing pretty well, but Myles has jaundice, too! He's still home for now, and we're praying his bilirubin levels stay low enough for him to remain there.) Frazier has been an excellent little sous chef. :) He chills in his swing and we put music on and sing while we cook! So, I'm afraid that's all the minutae about our lives I can bore you with today...and believe it or not that's pretty much all the new pictures I've got. :) Thanks for visiting.
Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. I think Frazier looks like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love looking at all these great photos. I wish so badly I could hold this little guy and study his dear sweet little face. It always amazes me how babies have similarities to both parents depending on the angle of the photograph or whether they are awake or asleep. He certainly is the cutest baby at any angle and while sleeping or awake--- I have to say the ones with the little grins are too cute. Sounds like everyone is getting on really well with each other ----- 6 1/2 hours WOW he is a dear sweet boy letting his parents sleep like that ;) Love you guys--- Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim and I were just talking about four weeks ago today and that Frazier will have his one month birthday on Sunday!

    Glad to see you are out and about using that beautiful stroller. I too was impatient and learned my lesson. Physical healing always takes longer than we would like.

    Julie is right...in one pic he looks so much like you and then I will see a shot and I see Josh looking at me. Bizarre! Whoever he looks like he sure is adorable and I wish I could "eat him up". 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's looking so cute! Yes, let them sleep when they will! I remember having to wake up Henry though because my boobs were about to explode!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like I read or heard somewhere the other day that alot of babies are 11 lbs before they really start sleeping good at night, so it sounds like he's doing just awesome!! That's great!!

    And, I LOVE LOVE the pics of you and him :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randi, Josh. Just got caught up on all your posts. Has been quite busy for a couple of weeks. Just great to read and be part of much that you are doing, feeling as a new family. Frazier is just amazing. I hope you have a way to download all of this so Frazier can be just as amazed as we are at his mom and dad. Keep sharing all this! It is wonderful! Love, Marcia and Sean

    ReplyDelete