Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So This Is It

It occurred to me today that this is it. This is the way my life will be. Today was the day...that it all sank in. We had company nearly every day the first week, and spent two of those days in the pediatric wing of the hospital, even the second week wasn't typical. Josh went back to work, but my Mom was here a couple of days, we had our first doctor's appointment, and my grandparents visited, too. And for the entire first two weeks, until last Friday night, church friends brought us dinner EVERY NIGHT. So we were guaranteed company (and a meal) every evening even if nothing else was going on. It was such a blessing- we're truly grateful!! But now we are on our own for meals. Mom came yesterday again and helped me clean house (which feels fabulous!), but today it was just me and Frazier and Gatsby. And today seemed like a precedent- for many more days to come. We ate and and slept and I changed a bunch of diapers and did a load of laundry and washed some dishes and fit in lunch and a bath while he was sleeping. And now Josh is home, but napping. And Frazier is fussy. And tomorrow we'll get up and do it all over again.
Frazier was awake yesterday afternoon/evening for, like, seven hours in a row (and insisted on eating every two hours during that time) and I have to admit...I was about out of ideas. Fortunately, he wasn't fussy the whole time- I just wasn't sure what to do with him. I sang, I read, I put him in his swing, we got out every toy labeled 0+ months...and finally ended up on the wiggle-worm activity mat (for the first time) and it was a big hit. I also used some bright links to rig up a new mobile as the one attached to his pack-and-play (which we use as a bassinet and in which he spends a lot of time) is too high for him to see...and just had three boring tan dogs on it. I'd been disappointed in the mobile from the get go, and Mom suggested I hang something else from it that he could actually see and interact with. So now there are three toys (including a mirror and a frog that ribbits) dangling within his focusing range.I took a close up because this is one of my favorite sleepers. Because it's the Very Hungry Caterpillar...and because it says "but he was still hungry"...and that's so perfect for my little bottomless pit. :)Not sure what this face is...with the puckered lips...but we get it all the time.
I fear the being awake for hours in the evening may be a trend, because as aforementioned he's up and fussy right now- wiggle worm playmat, here we come...but I suppose for now it's okay. He sleeps between feedings and diaper changes pretty much all day. He eats every three to four hours daily and every four to five hours at night. Pretty darn easy, really. I have no complaints.
Off to feed my fussbudget-
r.

3 comments:

  1. Only 2+ weeks and it seems like a daunting task! It may seem like all the time in the world, but take it from someone who knows....it's the blink of an eye. When you think of it in terms of weeks....can you believe that in only 310 weeks he will go to kindergarten? In another 520 weeks he will be driving! In just another 312 weeks he will graduate from college! Frazier definitely won the "amazing mom" lottery. I know you will make each day count. After all, you have 1144 weeks to mold this little person into the awesome young man who will make you so proud :)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, the weeks analysis makes me sad in the above post. Life is definitely different. We have a playgroup now and go and visit people a couple of times a week and that definitely helps keep Henry occupied and me sane. It is easy to find that you have been in the house ALL DAY and it makes you feel a bit crazy so try and get out and about some- it's always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about it being only 310 weeks until kindergarten! That puts it into perspective doesn't it?! I know what you mean about running out of ideas. I didn't have any mobiles, but I would put Josh on the kitchen counter under the cupboards...hang all sorts of things from the handles. I tied stuffed animals, measuring cups and all sorts of pictures and mirrors. I had some things from Discovery Toys that were black and white designs and also had baby faces which he loved.(Actually I might still have some of that stuff!) I didn't want him to be bored and since he couldn't do anything but lie there...what is a mother to do?! I feel your pain.

    Wow, Eric Carle jammies! SO CUTE! (My gramma always used the word, "fussbudget" and I haven't heard that word in a "coon's age". hahaha)

    ReplyDelete