Sunday, August 23, 2009

Week 5...and a half

So I think week four still holds the best week prize thus far...though week five did bring with it the first smile...so there's that going for it. What can I say about this week? Well, 1.- As of this evening- which is my least favorite time to weigh myself- I weigh exactly 9.5 pounds more than I weighed when I got married. Since that was four years and a baby ago, I'm not really complaining. The problem is: that's roughly what I weighed before I got pregnant, but the me in the mirror this evening just doesn't look like pre-Frazier me. Nor do my pre-Frazier pants look the same on post-Frazier me. And that's frustrating. Nevertheless, I cleaned out my closet today and folded all the maternity clothes and I'm packing them away-dare I say "for next time"? (just as soon as I get to Wal-Mart for a Rubbermaid box). Therefore, whether or not they look as good, I'll be forced to wear my pre-maternity clothes. I also cleaned out Frazier's closet and have a little pile of clothes he's already outgrown that I'll be packing away -dare I say again "for next time"? Josh has been busy lately at work...which I suppose is a good problem to have these days. Fortunately, our evenings have been relatively relaxing. Since Frazier's sleeping a good seven hours at a stretch these days Josh has even been able to give up his one late night feeding. I just feed him before I go to bed and then early in the morning. I started Tivo-ing something on the Food Network or Travel Channel (programs I deem appropriate for Frazier even though he doesn't understand them yet) so when I'm up at foursomething in the morning I have something to look forward to while I nurse. It's working out well...and I'm learning a lot. :) I went to my first Mom's night out function on Tuesday with ladies from the MOPS group I joined. There were seven of us at Papacita's (Mexican restaurant-I love tex-mex, but Papacita's is not my favorite by far). Food aside, I really enjoyed it...the company was great! Even though we spent three hours pretty much just discussing breastfeeding and potty training and pre-school, it was nice to dress up and go out and fellowship with some fellow Moms. It was refreshing, encouraging and inspiring, too. I came home (actually, I sped home-turned out I really missed my family...three hours seemed like a very long time!) and told Josh just how positive and uplifting these ladies were. Often when I talk with a group of other women I feel like it's almost a one-upping contest to see who can complain the most, but this was quite the opposite. These ladies have genuine hearts for the Lord and such selflessness when it comes to their families. I left so very grateful to have such sweet new friends. It will be nice to have them around, I know. Especially since this week, Frazier seems more interactive which suddenly makes him feel like a far greater responsibility. He's really taking things in...he can focus on things clearly up to 18 inches away (according to my books) and he seems to respond more to noises. Singing, reading, talking are all activities he now visibly acknowledges. This has created in me even more resolve to be a good mother...and all that stuff. ;) However, my newest goal in life, aside from resculpting the saggy remains of this shell my soul calls home, is to make Frazier smile...and capture it on camera. This is considerably more difficult than it sounds sans assistant. Here is the best I've done so far...
That last one's just a funny face...couldn't resist putting it up.
Well, week five went by really fast, and week six is doing the same. It brought the smile, it saw the departure of my Mom, we made two mini road trips, I had a night out...and of course, there was Josh's birthday! As with every week, I can end this one saying that Frazier's really a pretty perfect baby...and we have nothing but praises for him. So here's to a new week...and to being the kind of prayerful, diligent mother Frazier deserves.

"I cannot name myself as one who never goes astray,
Who never stumbles on the road or leaves the hallowed way.
But when I know that baby feet will follow where I've trod,
I walk with care that they too, may walk that road that leads to God."
-Margaret Powers
Happy Monday,
Randi

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have great friends....I didn't have that in Illinois, but was not a Christian when Josh was a baby...had a few friends from work, but just not the same as Moms with babies who are going through the same type of things.

    Sad we are not seeing any of the changes up close up. He looks so much more awake...can't wait to see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a adorable pictures. How cute to see him smiling so cute. Was good to catch you on Skype this morning. Nice to talk to you. Nama

    ReplyDelete