Saturday, August 29, 2009

Baby's Day Out

I had his bag packed hours before we actually left. I spent the entire morning getting ready between feedings and diaper changes. I fed him practically as we were walking out the door and had a bottle safely stored in a little thermal bag with ice packs. I had the outing timed, too. We'd be at Copelands (our choice for our anniversary dinner which was postponed for precisely this purpose) at mid-afternoon on a weekday so there'd be no one else there. So, thanks to my prep, take off was smooth- we got out the door and on the road. Frazier slept. Then, almost to Shreveport (our nearest Copeland's is an hour away) it began to POUR DOWN RAIN even though the radar hadn't said anything about a downpour the last time we'd checked. Strike one. As predicted there was no one at Copeland's. Literally. We didn't see anyone other than our waiter and the hostess. Nevertheless we were shown to a booth in the far corner next to the emergency exit. I guess this is a consequence of dining out with a baby. Strike two. We asked to move because the light coming through the door was blinding and were seated two booths away from the door. Which was better. However it was freezing in this booth. And the music was terrible. Note to self: at mid afternoon on a weekday, the music at Copelands is a really, REALLY bad dance mix. The original plan included warming up the bottle at Copeland's (via hot water in the bathroom) for the return trip, however since this plan was made we'd changed the plans to include stopping at World Market and running by a friend's house. Revamp plan to involve feeding Frazier at friend's house. Then said friend calls and remembers he's been exposed to swine flu. Cancel visit. New plan: warm up bottle at World Market. Not ideal. So we walk around World Market. Frazier doesn't fuss at all and is asleep again by the time we check out. So I go to the bathroom to warm up the bottle. This may not be the best way, I know. But I couldn't just leave breastmilk out for that many hours at room temp (had we been going somewhere in Longview it would have been different) and microwaving (I hear)kills important nutrients. Not that I had access to a microwave anyway. And running a (well sealed) bottle under really hot water for a few minutes does the trick just fine. The key is, you need really hot running water. And World Market has those sinks where you have to hold down the faucet thingy and even though I tried it never got warm. Having his bottle in that bathroom gave me the willies anyway...Copelands would have been better. Should have stuck with plan one. Since he was asleep anyway, I postulate that maybe he'll stay that way because we're about to head home and I'll feed him when we get there. Bad plan. Should have just woken him up and nursed him at World Market. By the time we get to the Longview exit he's inconsolable...even the paci wouldn't work. Though we're really close to home, we're also OUT OF GAS. Strike, what...ten? Who can keep up. We had to stop at a gas station at the exit. Thank God, I'm a walking perpetually warmed up bottle...so I nurse him in the car at the gas pump, like, fifteen minutes from home. Live. And. Learn. I'm thinking one of those bottle warmers for your car might be a good investment...
* * *
I like to have some pictures on each post...since I don't figure you're really here to read my ramblings. And while I know not everyone wants to see a bazillion pictures of my kid- I think it's important for the family who won't get to see all these sweet faces in person. If I put up enough pictures, it'll be almost like you guys were here!
Pictures one and two- my anniversary flowers! I put them out on the dining table and it made the whole room so happy every time I walked in I finally took a picture. Doesn't this make you feel happy?

And Frazier...some more. His newest trick? Sticking out his tongue. :)I know we're totally wearing out the sweet pea outfit...but we already outgrew the very hungry caterpillar one...and this is the new favorite. And it was clean today.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh more cute pics....yep, when you go with a baby you have to be flexible. I remember the first time I took Josh to the grocery store alone.....it was not pretty, but thankfully we were not far from home and a change of clothes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes the car warmer is a must have...although I nursed on demand..did not matter where we were. LOL...and these too will be come fond memories. trust me.

    ReplyDelete