Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Diaper Dilemma

We had an abundance of diapers...12 hundred and something to be more precise. And we were grateful. Many came from very generous people as gifts. I also purchased a few packages here and there when I had a coupon or something since I was so super-prepared ahead of time for this baby you'd think we were never going to leave the house again. (You may remember this post: Lady-In-Waiting). I actually bought diapers in several different sizes, too (newborn through size 3). You know...just to be prepared. It seemed we had it made...there were a few packages of newborns, then most of the others were divided between size 1 and size 2. We had about 600 size 1's and half that many size 2's. And probably half that many size 3's...which in case you couldn't do the math that fast is about 150. We counted them up a few weeks before he was born and marvelled at the numbers and were grateful some more.

Then he came...almost in size 1's right out of the womb. And it knocked the whole diaper system askew. We were able to use up the few newborns we had (though by the middle of week 3 when they finally ran out they were a bit snug). And then we began a race to use up size ones before he outgrew them! Alas, it was not to be. I realized, with like seven and a half packages of size 1's left, that we were fast approaching size 2.

I sort of felt gypped. He started out so far ahead of the curve that we didn't get to wear the newborn clothes but for a few days, and he was so large and strong that he really didn't feel like a newborn for long at all and I think even people who know how old he is, forget he's still a new baby...because he doesn't look like one. He grew so much so fast we'll never get to wear all the cute clothes we got. He's in some 6 month clothes now...at nine weeks. I feel like when people see us keep him with us during the church service they wonder why I can't leave my four month old in the nursery. I just want a sign for him that says "I'm only nine weeks old".

So, okay, I didn't really feel gypped...I'd much rather him be big and strong than to seem little and frail. I was pleased if anything. He's just a healthy, happy, big boy. And he feels good to hold. Like, solid or something. Anyway, I expected a big baby (hence very few newborn diapers) but I didn't expect to be out of size one diapers before the end of month 2, thus, the diaper dilemma.

I wasn't entirely sure what to do with all these surplus diapers. Who knew where they'd come from and when and whether those places would take them back? We decided we had too many not to try to return some or at least exchange them for a larger size, so I wrote down all the packages of diapers we had and went on a diaper scouting mission. I went to Wal-Mart, Target and Toys R Us with my pad and paper comparing diaper packages. Huggies Naturals 56 Pack, for instance, might be sold at Wal-Mart, while the same brand in a 44 pack might be sold at Target. Anyway, I was able to match all of the unopened packages of diapers with a retailer and Josh, darling that he is, volunteered to try to return them.

And he succeeded! He was able to return every single one to one of the three places I mentioned and came home with over $100 in gift cards. Which, when we use up (or outgrow) all the size 2 diapers we have, we'll use to buy size 3's!

2 comments:

  1. How blessed you are to have such a dilemma!

    Yes, I remember people looking at Josh and thinking, "Poor kid, wonder why he can't sit up by himself." He needed a sign, too! That too is a good dilemma to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with your determination to solve the problem. I would have probably just given them away.

    ReplyDelete