Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Two Months

Frazier is two months old today, and appropriately, we had his two month check up this afternoon. It went well. He weighed 13lbs 8 oz and was 24 1/4" long. Which I think she said put him in the 89th percentile for weight and 91st for height. Maybe it was vice versa. Either way he's on the big side...but normal and certainly not overweight since he's so long.

I went into the appointment slightly annoyed. First of all they rescheduled it for today after I'd specifically requested a Friday afternoon appointment so Josh could go with us. I hope she has a funeral or something to go to and that she isn't just taking the afternoon off. It's one thing to not take appointments for a Friday afternoon- I wouldn't begrudge her an afternoon off, but I was rather put out that they'd made one...and then revoked it. So I had to go alone. Second of all, I called on Monday to see if they would send me in a prescription for some EMLA cream (it's a topical lidocaine cream that deadens the skin for painful procedures...like shots. Also the same stuff they used as an anesthetic for his circumcision-which, by the way, I was adamant they use, but received no resistance about). This time, however, I was given a firm and final "no ma'am".

So I pouted (but we were on the phone so she couldn't tell) and asked if there was anything else I could give him to which I was told Tylenol. I'd read about not using Tylenol before shots for a couple of reasons, but I did some further research and so many physicians and people on discussion boards recommended doing so (and since my pediatrician recommended it I decided it was worth it). I had to go to Wal-Mart and get some, though...at 7 pm last night...which made me want to pull out my hair. Though really, for an evening (probably because it was Tuesday), it wasn't all that busy. I gave him some right before we left this afternoon and he didn't like it at all! It was grape flavored- there was no other choice. This is how he felt about it:
...and he made that look for a long time.
**Also as a side note-speaking of Wal Mart: the self check outs at our Wal Mart finally have an "I brought my own bag option" so you don't have to get an associate to come void out the weight of your reusable shopping bag. It's about time.

Anyway- I began to prepare for our appointment last night by gathering some of the things we would need to take with us and choosing what we'd wear. Then I just stayed up after our 5:30am feeding and finished getting things (and myself) ready (which included baking muffins and making coffee since Mae Mae and Pop came to visit this morning! I said all that to say...believe it or not, we were actually 5 MINUTES EARLY! Do I hear applause? Thank you- *bowing*-thank you.

It's probably because I planned well in advance having me showered, the baby bathed and dressed, and my diaper bag packed and ready to go before even Mae Mae and Pop got here at 9:45. I don't know how people do this every day...or with more than one kid. Kudos to you people.

On the subject of diaper bags. This is mine (the red bubble thing is a clip-on paci pod):
It's a Kalencom backpack and I love it. I have a little blue bag that was pretty inexpensive and works well for short outings (like church) but I've found that this backpack is perfect for, well, anything else. It has an insulated bottle pocket, a zippered front pocket and gathered side pocket, and a zipper compartment at the bottom with a changing pad in it, but the best part is that it's a backpack. So it leaves your hands free for the baby, or the baby carrier, or your car keys, etc. AND you can fit LOTS OF STUFF in it. Which is important to me because I like to pack (including but not limited to) the following:
6 diapers
wipes in wipes case
nursing wrap
blanket
back up blanket
back up back up (mini) blanket
paci
back up paci in case we drop the first one
back up back up paci incase we drop the back up paci :)
2 burp cloths
extra outfit in case we have an accident in the one we're wearing
back up extra outfit in case we have an accident in the extra outfit :)
mini lanolin
Lansinoh cleaning wipes
mini diaper rash cream
mini hand sanitizer
mini lotion
nasal aspirator
bottle (warmed or freshly expressed at the last minute)
1 pack of scented diaper disposal sacks
1 very hungry caterpillar toy
1 mirror/rattle
my cell phone, wallet, and keys
Now on to the most important subject- the shots. I know you've all been dying to know how they went. ;) Well, I'd been dreading it and, like I mentioned before, I was not at all happy with the events leading up to it, but I'm pleased to report we both left happy. I was able to nurse him for a few minutes right up until she gave him the first shot and though she said I could give him a bottle during them, she advised against it since he might choke when he began to cry. I'd actually thought about this so I settled for staying ready to nurse again and doing so immediately after the last shot (of three-she did them extremely fast, though). I literally had him back in my arms and feeding within seconds of the last shot and he was soothed so quickly he hardly had time to turn red! I let him nurse until he'd completely calmed down then got him dressed (during which he was back to smiling away) and we then moved back to the well-infant waiting room where I finished feeding him and he promptly fell asleep. This was him minutes after we got home:
Overall it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated...though I don't look forward to doing it again. Dr. Hunter said it was probably worse for me than it was for him. I don't know that that's true...but I'm glad it's over...for now.

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember doing a lot of worrying about shots or even taking much with us besides wipes and extra diapers and clothes....I was always ready for an explosion. I remember Josh crying after one shot but not for long...also before 1989 they didn't give as many vacinations as they do now days. What shots did Frazier have?

    He surely is not fat at all....just perfect in my estimation. Nice and sturdy and perfect for hugging. I am trying to imagine what was going through his mind when he tasted the grape tylenol....such a different taste than what he is used to...sweet and sugary must not be his cup of tea. Hope he stays that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dr. Hunter. One, he was very brave and two, it probably was worse for you than for him. It sounds like you did everything right! He looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete