Sunday, November 8, 2009

Frazier's First Cold

I had two other blogposts planned about the mini trip we made on Friday to get not one, but two highchairs and Grammie and Grandpa Jim's visit yesterday, but I'm postponing them to report that Frazier has his first cold. :( ...or at the very least his first runny nose. He's a perpetual puddle anyway...without the runny nose, but now he's a virtual well-spring of bodily fluids. I have a runny nose, too, and while I can't prove who started it, I'm sure this is entirely my fault. All my handwashing and avoiding people and handwashing some more and disinfecting and he still got something. And I gave it to him. It makes me sick- no pun intended. I, however, have developed effective mechanisms for snot removal in the 25 years, 10 and a half months I've lived longer than him. He has to just sit there and gurgle in it. It's pitiful and I feel terrible for him.
It began Friday with us noticing he was snoring as he napped, then he was drippy all day yesterday and by last night he was in full blown drowning-in-his-own-mucous mode (picture me up at 2 am sucking snot out of his nose...which, by the way, is exceedingly difficult to do on someone so squirmy with such tiny little nostrils.)

The combination of holding his head, sticking something up his nose and slurping gunk out made him (understandably) upset. So I finally propped him up in bed next to me and just elevating his head seemed to help tremendously. Then I decided to break out the vaporizer which I just happen to have. As I'm sitting on the floor in his room putting the thing together and [mentally] patting myself on the back for making such a prudent preemptive purchase, I realize...the thing doesn't come with a filter. They're sold separately. Ridiculous, am I right? I mean, at least one should come with it. And basically, it's just a useless (albeit cute) [frog-shaped] hunk of plastic without one. (For the record, I'm pretty sure it still would have vaporized without one, but I read you shouldn't...so I didn't.)

Briefly, I considered going to Wal-Mart, but I wasn't sure what kind of people might be there (or on the road) at 2am Sunday morning and since this wasn't an emergency (or isn't yet anyway) I opted not to find out. Probably other moms with kids who can't breathe, but who knows? I ended up waiting until 6 only to get there and discover they don't carry my vaporizer or refill filters. So I had to wait until Target opened at 8 and make another trip out. I'm happy to report that they had two filters (I bought both of them) to fit my frog and he's blowing off steam as we speak. :)
Frazier really isn't phased much by all this as long as he's propped up and has been his regular contented self for the most part. He hasn't run a fever either. (But I check every so often just in case!)
Nevertheless, we're taking an all-out sick day. We skipped church (though Josh went to Sunday school without us) and we're hanging out [propped up] in bed within arms reach of our vaporizer, Vicks Baby Rub, Little Noses saline drops, Boogie Wipes, and our bulb syringes. We're going to read stories and maybe watch a movie......and evidently, chew on the comforter, too! :)

3 comments:

  1. we have that vaporizer! i had no idea it needed a filter! Audrie had a cold at 5 weeks old, we used it in our bedroom at night. I am not sure if he helped her or not, but it made GT nose stopped up so we had to stop using it.

    Sorry Fraizer has a cold. If it makes you feel any better, Audries only lasted like 3 days. She hated the bulb thing too...it makes her scream :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...poor kid all proped up in bed with Mommie and Daddy. So cute. I am still wondering if he is teething with all that drooling. Give him a hug from his Gram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture is precious!

    ReplyDelete