Sunday, November 22, 2009

In Praise Of Pomegranates



It's National Pomegranate Month, so in recognition I made butternut squash ravioli with peppered pomegranate sauce and a pomegranate cheesecake! I actually oven roasted the squash, made my own pasta dough and rolled ( and rolled and rolled and rolled) it out thin and created my very own raviolis. It wasn't quite as difficult as I'd anticipated and I was extremely happy with the result. They were delicious if I may say so myself. I love pomegranate and was perfectly happy to celebrate the fruit. I mean, they're beautiful aren't they? And good for you, and yummy. A fruit trifecta if ever there was one.


Oh- and I learned a valuable tip thanks to this handy pamphlet I picked up at the Pom Wonderful display where I picked out the perfect pomegranate:
So here's the tip: when removing arils (you know, the ruby-like seeds) break the pomegranate apart in a big bowl of water. The arils sink, and the pith floats. It works really well...I can attest.
See? Lovely, no?

And now for some more pictures from this weekend of the kiddo ...since I'm pretty sure that's what most of you come here for anyway. :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh little Frazier I need to see you in person. You look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks so DELICIOUS! Josh has come a long way since chicken nuggets and mac and cheese...and he does love his milk.

    Adorable pics....now we are requesting some Mommie and me shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrumptious little face and the dinner too. I have never eaten a pomegranet...and i can't spell it either.

    ReplyDelete