Sunday, July 19, 2009

Life With Frazier

I had the following post almost all ready to go the other night, but I started feeling really sick before I could finish it and had to quit. I think it was my pain meds...which I have semi-straightened out now. Anyway, the next morning was a whirlwind because we had to take Frazier in for a follow up lactation appointment and bilirubin test. While lactation went okay, his bilirubin count was elevated to the point his pediatrician called and said to pack a bag and take him to the hospital. So we spent two nights there and I didn't have my camera cord and stuff or I'd have updated before now. As of this morning his bilirubin count was back down about 8 points from where it was Monday so we were released, but we're going in tomorrow morning for more labwork and hopefully it won't have jumped back up. Here's Frazier in his "tanning bed" with his UV shades. He was determined to get them off along with his IV and the heart monitors. Unfortunately, he was strong and stubborn enough to succeed with almost all three a couple of times! So we're back home now and we're relieved though prayerful for the lab results tomorrow. It's just nice to here again...and best of all my mom was here when we got home so we both got to take our second showers since Frazier was born. It's good to be clean. :)

Here's the post I'd planned for Sunday...now outdated, I suppose...but at least there are pics!

It seems that we've had him so much longer than three days. It's already hard to remember what life was like without him!
I just wanted to post some new pictures and an update. We're still doing fine. We came home yesterday instead of Friday since we were having some trouble breastfeeding (despite all my research and the lactation class...turns out it's more complicated when you actually have a real baby to work with). We're just now having some success, but he has jaundice which is making him too sluggish to sustain many feedings so I'm pumping to ensure he gets enough for now. And most of our day is spent sitting with him in a window letting him soak up some sun. The poor little thing is all yellow-orange-y...even the whites of his eyes. We have an appointment back at the hospital tomorrow morning and we're hoping for a good report. Even jaundiced and sluggish (we rarely get to see his eyes he's asleep so much and we've had to wake him up for every feeding!) he's been so much fun. We still stop now and then and say how surreal all of this is! It's so interesting after so many years together to be seeing a new side of each other, too! Josh has been a new daddy extaordinaire!
I keep watching them and thinking what a lucky kid my son is to have my husband for his dad.

7 comments:

  1. Crap. You got me. I teared up. Dang it. I have to go watch some football now or something. Wow. Beautiful kid to go with a pretty awesome pair. I can't wait to meet him. I'm praying for good lab results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We got teared up to as we remember Josh at that age and how thankful we were to have our first grandson, Now we seeing him holding his beautiful son and our first great grandson. We feel as you do that Josh will be a great Daddy. What a beautiful family you are. We love you all and are so thankful that you are keeping us in touch with what is happing as it is hard not to be able to pop in and see you all. God Bless, Nama and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randi, thanks for the posts....this helps. How can we miss someone so much when we only "met" just once? Was also glad to see that our sign stayed up!:-) We always knew Josh would jump in and be a great Daddy...never had any worries there. He has always had a sweet and tender heart...plus look what a good puppy daddy he is, (just like his dad.) Love the sunglasses look! What a "cool dude". Did he get to keep them? Oh, and the mirrow in the back seat. What a cute idea...so he doesn't see anything but the back of the seat! You guys think of everything!
    We are anxious to hear what the doc says this morning about the jaundice. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie!! I love him as big as the universe!!! I pray he is fine and his counts are right where they need to be. I remember what Debbie used to say to Josh (and I do to Paulie now)...be sweet Josh...be sweet. He is....and you are.....and so is Frazier. Love the polkadot car seat.....so colorful!!! and yes I cried too. (love the guitar pix - what was he singing?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful pictures Randi. Thanks for taking time out of your busy mommy life to share them! I was also wondering what Josh is playing and of course I hope the bilirubin count is normal now. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep coming back to look....love that little body in the window. (Is that a song?) Such a healthy little bod basking in the light! (Basking in the Light...good book title!) I used to look at Josh when he was that size and wonder what he would look like at 21. Well, I am predicting Frazier James will be just as handsome as his Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is adorable!! You and Josh look like such great, attentive parents. I love the pics of you guys holding Frazier and of Josh playing guitar for him...so sweet... And, you look awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete