Sunday, July 12, 2009

A tribute to my first child...

...the furry one.
* * *
While this first human child we expect any day now was a happy surprise and unexpected blessing, our first pet was a far more well-planned ordeal. And Gatsby, though not exactly what we bargained for despite all of our forethought, has proven to be not only excellent practice for parenthood, but also (besides Josh) the best friend I've ever had. I felt that, since I find myself with time on my hands I didn't expect to have, I owed Gatsby (at the very least) a blogpost before he is demoted to second fiddle and has to take a backseat to the real baby.
Naturally, I had a list as long as my arm of criteria for our dog...I wanted him to be small (because small dogs are, by default simply because of their size, more portable, more easily managed, prone to be less destructive and to make smaller messes, and are more widely accepted in more situations than larger dogs). Gatsby, for instance, can fly as a carry-on and is incredibly easy to bathe. I didn't want a dog that shed, I wanted a dog that, though small, wasn't stupid. I wanted a dog that would have a reasonably long lifespan. I wanted one that was a mixed breed so as to avoid the issues of inbreeding...the list goes on and on. And Gatsby, hypothetically, met all of them. When we brought him home he weighed 12 ounces so it was sort of like having a guinea pig...or a large hamster...and though we were told he'd weigh around ten pounds, he's three now and stunted at 6.5. Then, despite my efforts to ensure a healthy dog by picking a poodle-terrier mix (which were also touted to be intellingent and good family dogs) he had a fontenelle that didn't fuse, seizures, an undescended testicle, ear mites, a skin fungus and a liver condition. And while he isn't really aggressive, he's pretty afraid of other dogs...sometimes cripplingly so. So much for lists and planning. But he is smart...and pretty darn cute. And now that we have him on a special diet most of his seizures and vomitting have been curtailed. He has an incredible vocabulary...because we've been together pretty much 24 hours a day for over 3 years...and I talk to him all the time. I've never in my whole life spent so much one on one time with any other living thing. So we're pretty close, he and I. We can communicate even without words...sometimes it's weird. And honestly...with all his health issues it's been a real test of ourselves...and decision making and heartbreak, too. We were told he probably wouldn't live. And I was so upset I spent a full day in the bathroom nauseous. And then I realized that sobbing on my bathroom floor wasn't helping anyone so we made some hard decisions and thank God, he's still with us. And we learned a lot. About the best laid plans, about being flexible, and being patient when you're really tired and upset. About loving and caring and being responsible for something just the two of us... It's hard to know, when you've never had a baby before, exactly how you'll feel about it.
But we think sometimes about how much we love Gatsby...who is a dog...and who we just purchased...and we can't imagine how much we'll love an actual human...that we helped to create.
So here's to Gatsby and the happy family of three we've been. And here's to my two best friends (seen above in their matching Tech gear :) and to all three of my boys...and the family of four we'll be.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh...Just checked in to see what was new at Soda central and found this sweet post....we love little Gatsby with all his problems and quirks just as you all do. He has that wise old man quality. Been praying the transition goes smoothly for him.

    Yes, it is crazy how our dogs get to feel like people to us. When they're happy, it is so great, but if they are sick or sad we can't help feel the same. I sometimes envy those who can say, "it's just a dog". I have said it trying to convince myself, but in the end it rings false and I know our fur-kid is a someone....a someon I love very much.

    ReplyDelete