Monday, October 19, 2009

Homecoming Weekend 2009

So we're back from our first overnight trip (which was actually two nights and almost three days long) with Frazier and our first trip to Ruston since May. I'm happy to report it went well! Though I must also say we're pretty glad to be home. It took a good amount of pre-planning and list making and two days worth of packing to get ready to go and most of this morning to unpack and get the house back to normal!We had a really nice time, though and while we didn't get to do all the visiting we'd have liked to, we still did a lot! We stayed with Jim and Debbie who hadn't seen Frazier since my birthday so we spent a good bit of time there. Since there was (among other good things) a new mattress in the spare room and multiple (yummy) meals in it for us that wasn't hard to do! :) (Thanks for everything Grammie and Grandpa Jim!)I've been hearing about this bouncy seat since long before we even found out we were expecting Frazier. It was Josh's, and evidently all the other kids in his [extended] family survived it, too. While I can't imagine it would hold up to current safety standards nor would I have left him alone in it (not that I really leave him alone in mine), he did seem to really enjoy it! :)We also got to see Frazier's honorary great-grandmother ;), Mrs. Helen, who met Frazier for the first time!
And of course we hung out with Uncle Ross:We were really excited about seeing some friends who were also in for Homecoming...but I failed to take my camera so I have no pictures of that. :( While they were all super sweet about meeting Frazier, he was not terribly sociable in return. We had to leave the post game get together because he was crying his head off and he wasn't much better at church the next day. ..which is unusual. I think it might've been a case of social overload. He just isn't used to a lot of people and noises. After all, for most of his life it's just been the two of us and Gatsby. And we're pretty low key. :) He's been doing a lot of sleeping since we got home! I think he was just in serious need of some down time!

We visited with Mae Mae and Pop too, but he was asleep or fussy most of the time we were there so, unfortunately, no pictures to document that either!

Frazier and I didn't get to the homecoming game, but it was a perfect day for it and Josh enjoyed going.

On the whole, the travel itself went well. We were able to time it around feedings so he slept the entire time we were in the car- it was great.

It's a beautiful, beautiful day here- sunny, breezy, high of 70. Perfect. So Frazier and I are planning a walk if he gets up soon!

Happy lovely mid-October,

Randi

P.S. My Dad and Winslow made it to Belgium! We miss you guys...but somehow it's easier knowing how glad Mom must've been to see you both! Knuffels en kussen!

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures! IT looks like y'all had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi, So glad you all had a good time in Ruston. Love all the pics. Remember that blanket of Josh's that Frazier is laying on also the bouncy seat. That seat has surely been around. Makes me sad not to be able to see Frazier but am glad we do get the pictures so quickly on the internet. Am so glad that Grammie Debbie and Grandpa Jim are close enough to see him now and then. i know it means so much to them. Well will surely be glad to see you all and especially, Frazier, at Christmas. Love you all, Nama and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know bringing your whole dog and baby show on the road was no minor feat, but I was amazed how quickly Josh's old room was transformed into a nursery and Frazier seemed to settle in quite well. (We still can't get over him sleeping 8 hours at night!!) He never seemed very fussy to us and we loved all the smiles and the giggles, too. Thanks for a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a beautiful baby!! I know how thrilled Debbie was to have you guys there---too fun!! I love that bouncy seat picture of Frazier. That seat was great for muscle development--they have great range of motion in that. I can picture Maura, Ross and Lauren just kicking and kicking in their seat --especially Lauren, thus the nickname "kicky" (Nama and Papa called her that :) ) So glad you could get to Ruston.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure glad y'all had a great weekend, and I love all the pics and video that I've seen from different sites about your weekend. I sure enjoyed the time I had to spend with all of y'all, but I am glad to be back here "at home" and have the stresses of travel behind me. I can tell you that if there's a positive connotation to the "jet set" crowd it's not coming from me and the other 250 poor souls shoehorned into econo class! It was certainly good to get back home to see your mom and I'm not going without her again. The hondje is doing good and turns out is an impressive traveler, but I think he's holding out a little bit here to see if we can do better than MaeMae and Pop's best attempt to spoil him. Love y'all and miss y'all, so please keep the pics, videos, and blogs current!

    ReplyDelete