Monday, October 26, 2009

A Stocking for Frazier

For our first Christmas together (married) I (perhaps over-ambitiously) made us stockings. All hand-sewn. From scratch. I used as inspiration some kitschy stockings my grandmother had made years ago...50s-60s stlye...felt and sequins.
They took me a very long time.
Then, for Gatsby's first Christmas (having forgotten what an undertaking the last two were) I made him a stocking (albeit a slightly smaller one).
Well, it occurred to me a few weeks ago that Frazier needed a handmade stocking to match all of ours so I began working on it right away assuming it would take me forever. Surprisingly, it didn't take quite as long as I'd anticipated. I finished just this morning! So, it will definitely be ready to hang up when we get all the other Christmas decorations out.
I had to go find some more of the same red felt I used for the others and I'd saved the pattern I freehanded on some posterboard for mine and Josh's stockings knowing I'd be making more to match them one day so I found it, too. The only difference on Frazier's stocking is that it actually has a folded top. I also stuffed all the cookies so they're raised a little bit.Now I'm going to need a new project! :)

4 comments:

  1. That is so impressive and it will adorn your mantel for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone stumbles upon this blog they may want to order one of these! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice- The one I made Josh when he was little was SO BIG Debbie wanted to kill me as Santa needed lots of stuff to fill it---I had no children then so it never occured to me :0 Well, yours are just the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed as well!! I LOVE Frazier's stocking! You're making me want to make one for Anniston, but I know it could never look as good as yours!

    I also LOVE your carved pumpkin family! Precious!

    ReplyDelete